Top Honeymoon Spots in the South
One of the more exciting parts of wedding planning is also planning the honeymoon. The idea that after all this time you and your new spouse can take a trip together to toast to your new ever after! And while people typically envision honeymoons taking place somewhere tropical with a frosty drink in hand, you don’t have to leave home to find paradise! Enjoy an extended weekend and explore a city that you have never seen.
Five Romantic Southern Getaways
- Charleston, South Carolina. The Holy City has an allure and romance all its own. From the battery to the historic homes you will fall in love all over again walking through the cobblestone streets. With so many hotels, B&Bs, and vacation rentals it will be hard to decide where to lay your heads as newlyweds. Take in the art, lighthouse, beach, ghost tours, and amazing cuisine.
- St. Augustine, Florida. If you have never been down the coast to St. Augustine it is such a treat. Beyond the miles of sandy beaches on the Atlantic Coast, you also can experience the history of what is to be said the oldest city in the United States. The architecture alone is worth exploring and don’t miss the Castillo de San Marcos. It is a 17th-century Spanish stone fortress with views of the St. Augustine Inlet.
- Fairhope, Alabama. Fairhope isn’t Mobile and it isn’t the Gulf Coast but it is a gorgeous little town that has stunning views of Mobile Bay. Consider renting a boat and taking a sunset cruise, fishing, or checking out the Middle Bay Lighthouse. If the water isn’t your thing then the town itself is bursting with local artisans, exquisite dining, and plenty of shopping.
- Blue Ridge, Georgia. You don’t have to go north to see the mountains. They may be in your own backyard. Blue Ridge, Georgia offers apple orchards, hiking, waterfalls, train rides, and so much more. The fine dining and boutique shopping are a plus or truly escape with your Mr. or Mrs. and find a secluded cabin in the woods and enjoy the time away from the hustle and bustle.
- Nashville, Tennessee. Now we know that Nashville is dubbed Music City but it also has a lot of romance. If you and your partner love music then this is the place for you hands down. However, consider a few other ideas that may elevate your stay. Tour Arrington Vineyards and have a wine tasting. Take the time to visit a nightclub and bar to enjoy actually dancing together since you may have not had the chance at your own wedding! Enjoy the slow morning with a trip to the farmer’s market and brunch and a variety of restaurants. Wander through the botanical gardens or catch a live act. The list goes on and on.
Whatever the two of you decide to do for your honeymoon, consider taking the time to do one city tour, food tour, or out-of-the-box event that you wouldn’t normally book. It will be a fun memory and you won’t regret it. Maybe make it a game and surprise each other with your idea! And by all means, if the thought of travel planning feels overwhelming, check with a travel agent. If you don’t know where to start, consider asking your wedding planner, venue owner or another couple for a reference!